Does taking Lisinopril and Furosemide together cause serious side effects?

My mother is taking Lisinopril for high blood pressure. She was going to have a shot in her leg today but her leg was so full of fluid the doctor said she needed to take Furosemide. She said she had some at home and would take it. I checked and it looks like these two drugs should not be taken together. I think a pharmacy would have picked that up - not sure why the doctor didn t as she thought she let him know what drugs she takes but maybe she didn t. She feels okay right now but will the reaction become serious enough that she would be wise to contact her G. P. now?
Mon, 25 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Using a diuretic like Furosemide may potentiate the effects of an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEi) like Lisinopril and may have detrimental effects on the kidneys. These side effects though are rare and may usually affect dehydrated patients. Lisinopril and various diuretics (including Furosemide) are commonly used in combination without any problems. There are not any other serious interactions between these two drugs. So in conclusion Lisinopril and Furosemide can be used in combination and since your doctor advised her to do so, she'd better take them. In any case try to avoid making any changes to her regimen without first consulting with her doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.