Does presence of acanthocytes be related to iron deficiency?

Hi, mday I answer you ouhealrth queries right now ? Please type your query here...my baby had a blood smear with a few acanthocytes. He was born at 36 weeks and small but has gained weight very well and is now 75th percentile. He is otherwise well but has mild persistant jaundice. His platelet count is 725 which is high. He is also being treated for iron and folate deficiency. Donthe acanthocytes always indicate some kind of disease or could it be related to his iron deficiency?
Thu, 7 Feb 2019