Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Difficulty walking up and down stairs. Pain in knees. Should I see an orthopedic surgeon?

I have been having major problems walking up and down stairs (mostly down). When I bend down I can barely get back up without the use of pulling myself up with my arms. My knees ache a lot even when I m sitting or laying down. Should I see an orthopedic surgeon or a rheumatologist? I don t know the difference between the two.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  135
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query,
Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of osteoarthritis knee. Often called wear-and-tear arthritis, osteoarthritis occurs when the protective cartilage on the ends of your bones wears down over time. Osteoarthritis treatments can slow the progression of the disease, relieve pain and improve joint function.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for detailed examination. You may get the X-ray, some blood tests and joint fluid analysis under his/her guidance to reach the accurate diagnosis.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Critical Care Specialist Dr. Sadiq Mughal's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
Since you have problems only in your knee joint,So the problem could be osteo arthritis,rheumatoid arthritis or may be something else Rheumatoid arthritis also involves other joints of the body.So you should consult an orthopedician who will be able to evualvate you for pain in your knee joint
Hope this answers your question.
Answered: Sun, 3 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor