Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol. Undergone AIC test showing high triglycerides. Diet suggestions?

I am 30 years of age and have been dignosed for Type 2 dibeties and High Cholestrol problems. In recent lab work, i found that my A1C test gave result 6.0 but my Total Cholestrol is 212 and most because of triglycerides which is 400. I go to gym 3 times a week with 1 hour per day and i am pure vegetarian. Usually, i avoid rice, pasta, and outside food. I am a whole grain favorite. I am not able to understand why my triglycerides is so high even after controlling my diet and my sugar level also.
Please help me to understand.
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  41
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear Rajesh,

All grains, even whole, are considered carbohydrates, which is a synonim for sugar. Many patients have the wrong impression that only sweets are sugars. The body treats them the same: stores the excess in the form of fat after they were converted into trriglycerides. My 3 pearls:
1) Before each meal, increase the amount of water you ingest to help with satiety
2) Per meal, have only one type of carbohydrate (eg. sugar or grain), and very important, no more than what fits in your palm
3) Increase the amount of leafy vegetables proportionally to the amount of grains you are decreasing, again to help with satiety

Hope that helps,

Dr Brenes-Salazar
Mayo Clinic Rochester
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor