Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Diabetes start at what age ?

i am 58, just got tested fasting sugar 147. do i need to start medication or change in diet will be sufficient
Asked On : Wed, 6 Oct 2010
Answers:  2 Views:  398
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dear Member

If you are symptomatic (excess urination, excess hungriness, excess thirstiness), you have diabetes with this 147 blood sugar.

If you have no symptoms, you need to go for another blood sugar test either random or fasting. If the second test is also abnormal, then you have diabetes.

If the the second test is normal , you can go for 75mg 2 hour Glucose tolerance test.


Dr. Jagdish
Answered: Wed, 3 Nov 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  Anonymous's Response

You need to see a doctor to follow-up whether a change in lifestyle will be efficient to control blood glucose level. If not, a hypoglycemic drug can be added to attain the normal glucose level.
Answered: Wed, 6 Oct 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor