Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Constant stomach pain. Was prescribed hydrocodone. Isn't there an antibiotic for stomach ulcers?ul

For the last 10 days, my stomach feels like I drank Drano. It hurts constantly 24/7. I suspect it is an ulcer as Alka Seltzer, Prevacid, acid reducers, Herbal Aloe have no effect. I saw my GP this morning, and he gave me hydrocodone and said if it gets worse go the ER. Isn't there an antibiotic for stomach ulcers? And, why wouldn't my GP give me that as a prescription. Thank you very much for your thoughts.
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  52
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
With the available described symptoms, there could be possibility of peptic ulcer disease, acute pancreatitis or cholecystitis.
Peptic ulcer disease is caused by Helicobacter pylori bacteria and which may be in form of follicular gastritis, nodular gastritis, gastric and duodenal ulcer, and adenocarcinoma of stomach.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for ultrasound imaging, endoscopy and serum amylase and lipase.
You should also go for urea breathe test for H. Pylori.
You should also take proton pump inhibitors along with antacids.
Eradication of H. pylori is required for complete treatment of peptic ulcer disease.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Wed, 3 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

GP is right - antibiotic is withheld for want of specific indication.
You need investigations for proper diagnosis / otherwise it is guess work / only symptomatic treatment like pain relieves can be given / No specific treatment is feasible...
If the pain is severe, get admitted to emergency / get investigated urgently - you may need blood tests, scans and endoscopy

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Wed, 3 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor