Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Cloudy eye after red floater. Will this clear up?

I am a male, 56, in good physical shape (daily exercise, watch diet ) -- my right eye has gone cloudy, started with a red floater which moved to partially block then completely block the vision in this eye -- after a couple of weeks it began to clear but now it still appears as if there are a couple of large floaters in the fluid in my eye and the fluid is murky -- will this continue to clear?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  124
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
The eyeball has a cavity in the center called the Vitreous Cavity. It is filled with an egg-white type substance called the Vitreous, or Vitreous Humor (sort of means a gas, but not used much anymore). This gel degenerates in time and as we get older there are pockets of fluid or water, and the gel substance. This substances sloshes around in the eye as it moves back and forth and it can, and usually eventually does, detach from the posterior part near the nerve and over the vessels of the retina. It can, in doing so, cause a tear of a surface vessel which will cause a bleed into the vitreous. Most get Posterior Vitresous Detachments and just have floaters. But some bleed. Others though, may tear the retina itself. These tears are usually out at the side or front of the retina where the vitreous gel is attached tightly, the vitreous base. These tears can be dangerous as if the liquified gel gets under the retina through the tear, the retina will float into the vitreous cavity. This is called a Retinal Detachment and can lead to loss of sight. I'd suggest you find a Retina Specialist in your area, not a general ophthalmologist or optometrist and have him take a look at your eye(s). If there are no retina specialists, see a general ophthalmologist but explain your symptoms prior to going there. They may decide to refer you right away to a retina specialist.
Answered: Thu, 25 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor