Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Chronic gout, swelling in foot, ankle. Treated with Allopurino. Which specialist to consult?

I am a 48 yr old male, 6 1 , 280 lbs. I have had chronic gout for many years and treat it daily with Allopurinol . I have swelling in the foot , ankle, and lower left leg. No excess pain, no hot spot like with gout. I have no redness or skin discoloring. I have taken a round of a sulfur drug antibiotic and the swelling went down. I took all of them as told, but the swelling returned a few days after finishing the drug.They took a culture of the clear fluid that was draining out of the left leg, but do not have results. This has plagued me now for around 18 months and in that time I have worn a cast for 6 weeks, a brace, and also wear theraputic socks that come up over the calf . What kind of specialist do I need to see for this problem?
Asked On : Thu, 23 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  64
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Hi and welcome to HCM
For chronic gout treatment you need to consult a rheumatologist or an orthopaedician. Lifestyle changes may make it easier to manage this lifelong disease. Suggestions include gradual weight loss, avoidance of alcohol and reduced consumption of fructose‐containing drinks and foods high in purines.
Hope this will helps you. Take care.
Answered: Sat, 17 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor