What causes sudden light flashes along with alterations in vision?

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have blind spot in middle of vision varies from time to time better or worse. Its like a bright flash that makes it difficult to see in middle. Then it goes away. I also see some doubling in print and wear glasses for near sightedness with a stigmatism.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
See an ophthalmologist right away

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
*how long have you been experiencing these symptoms?
*how long have you been wearing glasses?
*do you have any other medical issues or take any medications?

Sudden flashes of light with alterations in vision should be immediately evaluated for retinal detachment.
This is a serious problem which can lead to blindness.
I recommend :
-an ophthalmologist consult right away. A physician consult.
-blood tests (complete blood count, lipid profile, blood glucose levels)

Based on the examination, we can arrive at a diagnosis. Please do not delay. It could be harmless, in which case you can be at ease but if it is something more serious, the sooner you seek treatment, the better.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Wish you good health.
Warm regards,
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 days later
I had these symptoms one other time maybe a year ago near as I can recall. I am not having them now and everything appears normal. I am 64 and have worn glasses since age 22. I have GERT and take Omeprazolel (many years) and also GOUT and take Allopurinol (5mos). I have an appointment to see Ophthalmologist this Wed 12/13/17 at 4PM.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allopurinol can cause your symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up and clarifications.

Allopurinol can cause visual disturbances, retinal vein occlusion and even blindness. It's good that you are seeing your ophthalmologist on Wed.
Please let me know how that goes.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad