Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Child with molluscum not healing. Large pus filled spots on the body. Should I be concerned?

Hi, my six-year-old son has molloscum, which is horrible but does seem to be getting better (after nearly two years), but I've now noticed that he is getting large pus-filled spots here and there on his body (the latest ones are on his outer thigh and knee). They are completely different to the molloscum spots, more like teenager's 'zits'. Should I be concerned? Is his immune system very poor. The whole lot is so unsightly I feel sorry for him, especially as he's very sporty and wears shorts/swimming trunks etc. a lot of the time!
Any advice would be great. Thank you.
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pediatrician 's  Response
Dear Abby,

Either those spots are secondarily infected molluscum sores or they are entirely new - and are definitely infected. He will need to be seen by his doctor as he needs an antibiotic - both oral and locally usable. I would not rush to call him immunologically weak without running through a few formal tests such as the white cell counts and others that are technically difficult for me to explain to you but have significant difference in results.

In the meantime, you could apply a local anti-bacterial cream like fucidin, povidone iodine or soframycin ... any one will do.

Dr. Taher
Answered: Sat, 25 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor