Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Child with a painful bump behind the ear. Pain while chewing. Need to go to the hospital?

My 11 year old son fell and banged his head on a table. He now has a painful bump behind his ear which is soft to the touch. This happened in school over 8 hrs ago, he said he felt like he blacked out when it first happened but woke up fine a few seconds later. He has not complained of headache, nausea, or ear pain...just where the bump is, it hurts to the touch and when he chews. Should I rush him to the ER?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  47
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Thanks for your query.
There is hematoma formation behind er due to trauma to small blood vessels.
After head injury some warning signs need to be observed like;
vomiting/lethargy/bleeding fro ear or nose/any abnormal movement.
In case of any take him to ER.
Apply ice compresses over injured area and give acetaminophen for pain relief.
Wishing your child good health.
God bless...
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Since your child blacked out and lost consciousness I suggest you to get him examined once.

Also I request you to monitor for the danger signs like

1. Seizures,
2. Vomiting
3. Loss of consciousness.
4. Ear and nose bleed.

Hope this helps.
Take care.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor