Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Child stubborn with certain things. Does this denote OCD?

My daughter will be 4 in june. On sunday she started with a few odd habbits. Not sure what they mean or if there is a problem with OCD or something. First she is keeping her hands in the fists position, she wont touch certin things, is asking for blankets, bedding, etc to be washed even if they were just washed. When I question her she doesn t have an answer for me, which I expect because of only be 4. There is no consistant pattern to any of it.
Asked On : Sun, 3 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  17
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi There, Thanks for asking. Childhood onset OCD usually begins around the age 10 to 12 or sometimes in the years after. For many of them a family stress exists which contributes to the maintenance of symptoms. On the other hand, many children have some behaviors to show their autonomy (sometime by such behaviors you described). These behaviors manifest around age 4 and then gradually subside. However, it could be a sign that the child has a transient anxiety about a family or social stressor. I wish you a good health.
Answered: Sun, 3 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. Onset of OCD at this young an age is unusual. Oddities of behaviour and defiant/stubborn behaviour are common at this age. Lack of consistent pattern points towards absence of a serious disorder. Still, I would suggest a thorough psychiatric evaluation by a child psychiatrist to rule out OCD and other childhood anxiety disorders. Hope you find the suggestions useful.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor