Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Child having severe and extensive hair loss, have test report. Can any online doctor help me to read it?

My 12-year old daughter has severe and extensive hair loss - she now wears a wig. It started at the age of 10 years, but some months after her hair started growing back, albeit very slowly. About 4 weeks ago she started losing hair again, very rapidly and extensively. Up to now the diagnoses have varied by doctor: alopecia areata , trichotillomania etc. Last week, blood analyses were returned with a TSH level of 5.94. Her red cell count was 45.5 and her white blood cell count was 4.94. Neutrophils abs = 1.85 and Iron = 20.2. Prolactin = 13, Vit D = 29.4. She also tested positive for Helicobacter pylori . Please can you provide some insight.
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  65
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hi Angela,
From the description provided, it seems more like alopecia areata. It is an autoimmune disease which causes round coin shaped lesions of hair fall which may coalesce and progress rapidly to cause hair loss extensively.
As she is having extensive hair fall, she might need a course of oral steroids. Another option could be contact immunotherapy with SADBE or DPCP. Kindly talk to a dermatologist near by for these treatment options.
Hope that helps.
Take care
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor