Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Child having low grade fever, loss of appetite and cough. Had surgery for leaking of pulmonary valve. Need to get checked now?

My 4 year old son has a low grade fever, loss of appetite and a cough . He was born with a host of congenital heart defects, and has undergone open heart surgery to correct them. He still has a moderate/severe leaking pulmonary valve and a restricted aortic arch. He has already had pneumonia twice this winter and is on puffers for the winter months. Is there any value in taking him to see his pediatrician? Usually I don t, then things progress and we end up at the hospital in the middle of the night. Just trying to avoid that, but what will his Dr be able to do at this stage?
Asked On : Wed, 13 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.
Your son has a very contributive history that warrants continuous
attention when ever need arises. People with past history of
heart surgery or heart malformation are predispose to infections
of the heart called infectious endocarditis which could explain the
symptoms your son is having.
It is advisable to take him to the doctor for an evaluation and some workups
such as cardiac ultrasound, complete blood count, blood culture as the case may require.
Best regards
Dr. Achuo
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor