Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Child has esophagus discomfort, swallowed doxycycline pill. Diet?

My 20 yr. old daughter dry swallowed a small sized doxycycline pill last night and today she is having discomfort in her esophagus . She can swallow liquids and eat but it is uncomfortable. Are there certain foods/liquids that she should drink or eat to help this and even certain food/drinks to avoid? In other words what should she be doing and how worried should I be? Thanks
Asked On : Thu, 25 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  125
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Doxycycline often causes stomach upset - pain, nausea, vomitting and even reflux oesophagitis. ORS in cold water, simple semisolid diet served in cold may be given. Simple Antacid Gel/Suspension with or without Oxetacaine maybe usefull when given before taking any food. Omeprazole sachet dissolved in cold water can also be given in empty syomach.
Answered: Fri, 26 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor