Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Child has dangling baby tooth. How to help remove it?

My 11 year-old son has a baby tooth dangling from a piece of gum. The adult tooth has completely pushed through. This piece of gum is slightly thick (about the thickness of the pencil lead in a traditional pencil). He has wiggled and twisted and nothing helps. The tooth is literally hanging in his mouth or pushing through his lips like Nanny McPhee. What can we do?
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  76
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Sarahhenshaw,
Thanks for posting your query.
The hanging deciduous tooth which has retained in your son"s mouth has to be removed as soon as possible.
Please do visit your dentist regarding this.
As the procedure is carried out under administration of local anaethetic solution,the procedure will be painless.
Take complete course of antibiotics-analgesics too.
Gargle frequently using warm saline and betadine solution.
Please do get a dental check-up in every 6 months.
Take care.
Answered: Fri, 10 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

The dangling baby tooth if causing irritation can be removed.
If it remains like that there are chances that it may cause ulcerations in the mucosa.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get it removed.
Maintain a good oral hygiene of your child.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Fri, 10 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
that dangling tooth should be removed by an expert i.e. a dentist
so what i would suggest is that you pay a visit to your nearby dentist and get it removed after topical anesthesia
dont worry its hardly a 5 minutes procedure and most probably your dentist would remove it with just the sprayed anesthesia without injection
hope that helps
best of luck
Answered: Fri, 2 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
I advise to get baby tooth to be removed by dentist.
If it remain there, it is likely that new erupted tooth may remain in the back will cause irregular tooth lining and in the future will cause some problem apart from look.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Mon, 11 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor