What causes extra space between upper teeth of a 6 year old?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Thu, 23 Jun 2016 in Dental Health
Question: My Son is 6 and 1/2 years, his only one upper teeth has came up new 3 months back. Recently I have observed the gap between teeth is increasing. Is there anything alarming. I am attaching the image, please review and suggest if anything wrong. And when the other teeth will start to fell.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal condition, ugly duckling stage, RVG, Orthopantomograph

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the spacing and the unerupted teeth are concerned, it is a normal phenomenon during eruption process. Nothing to be panic, the permanent central incisors will start erupting by the age of 6-7 years. This spacing and flaring of the permanent incisors takes place up to the age of 12-13 years, this we call it as ugly duckling stage.
To confirm the presence of the permanent teeth within the bone you can get a radiograph like RVG(radiovisuography) or orthopantomograph. So consult a pediatric dental surgeon and get it evaluated.
Please upload the images for better diagnosis.
I hope i have answered your query. If you have any queries, reply me back.Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 42 minutes later
Attached the image, please investigate and suggest
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Self limiting condition, get radiographs done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply. I have gone through your images.
As per the images the two permanent central incisors have erupted. The lateral incisors looks like deciduous teeth. So you need to get the previously said radiographs done to see the status of the permanent teeth inside the bone. It is normal to have this kind of problem during this age. Nothing to be panic. It's a self limiting condition. Once all the permanent teeth erupts the spacing and malaligned teeth will get corrected by its own. If it is not corrected by the age of 12 to 13 years then you need to consultant and orthodontist to plan for further treatment.
I hope I have answered your query. if you have any queries reply me back. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 27 minutes later
the two permanent central incisors have erupted. The lateral incisors looks like deciduous teeth. So you need to get the previously said radiographs done to see the status of the permanent teeth inside the bone.

Hi Sir, bit confused with the above statement.
Only 1 tooth has came up recently, how you know two permanent central incisors. And do I need to visit a dentist immediately.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Permanent teeth, radiographs to confirm diagnosis, wait and watch

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
As per the images you have uploaded based on the size of the teeth, the two central incisors looks like permanent central incisors. Usually the permanent central incisors erupt at the age of 6-7 years. One tooth might have erupted now but other tooth might have erupted few months back only. Based on the age and the size of the teeth I came to a conclusion that both teeth are permanent. To confirm the same you need to get the radiographs done. But it is not an emergency issue. You can wait and observe for another 6 months to 1 year. There is no need to consult a dentist immediately.
I hope I have answered your query Take care.
if you have any queries reply me back