Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Chain smoker, have tiny white pus pocket on the top of gum cheek between molars. Is it cancerous?

Yes, i just went to the dentist and he checked my mouth, he said he noticed a tiny white like pus pocket on top of gums cheek side between two molars, you can barely see it, he said to wait two weeks if it hasnt cleared need biopst!! So im freaking out, even tho he said dont lose sleep over it!?! Ive smoked since 16, im 30, i smoke up to a pack a day, dont drink a lot! How do i know if its jusr something irritated my gums or its cancerous?
Asked On : Mon, 24 Sep 2012
Answers:  6 Views:  147
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and thank you for your question.
Most likely you have a periodontal abscess that needs to be cleaned out through scaling and root planing. Most common place for oral cancer is floor of the mouth. Since this was a pus forming area in the gums it was most likely due to an overhang on a restoration, calculus, plaque or food debris, fractured root on tooth and not cancer. However, I strongly encourage you to quit smoking because you are at hight risk for getting cancer. Worry about cancer and quit before you get it, not after. You should rest easy knowing it is highly unlikely cancerous.

Best regards

Dr. Ward
Answered: Sat, 13 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Hello & Welcome to HCM,
I went through your history & your smoking history indicates a tendency towards precancerous lesion which can be:-
Leukoplakia-a whitish non-scrapable patch with hyperkeratosis
Nicotone stomatitis & smoker's palate are also associated with tobacco use
Oral lichen planus- characterised by presence of bilaterally greyish white lines known as wickeham's striae, it can later affect other parts of body.
these are few differential diagnosis of your diseases but you should go for biopsy for further confirmation.
First & foremost you have to stop your habit of smoking.
Maintain your oral hygiene by brushing your teeth twice a day & using 0.2% chlorhexidine mouthwash.
Also start with multivitamins & antioxidants.
Later on your dentist may start with some corticosteriods.

take care


Answered: Tue, 25 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sapna Purwaha's  Response
i read your problem.your dentist is right these white
spots can be precancerous lesions like leucoplakia mostly
occur due to smoking and tobacco chewing.
i would also advise you wait for a weak if it still
persist get a biopsy done.
kindly try to give up smoking,maintain your oral
hygiene using mouthwash,have nutrituious diet.
dont worry nowadays every disease have a treatment.
you will be fine.
Answered: Mon, 24 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hello and welcome,
since you are a chronic smoker for the last 14 years,the lesion can be a precancerous type.the final diagnosis can be made only after getting the biopsy report.

as the lesion is white in nature,it can be leukoplakia or lichen planus or smoker's palate.the lesion is of homogenous type and cannot be scraped or striped off.
if it is leukoplakia,it is treated by surgical excision,cryosurgery,co2-laser surgery,retinoids,photodynamic therapy.
if it is lichen planus,wickham's striae-these are the greyish white lines,bilaterally symmetrical and is treated by corticosteroids and by oral-hygiene
visit your dentist and get the scaling done.please stop the smoking habit completely.
use soft-interdental brush,dental floss to clean your teeth.if there is pus pocket,it can be drained by curettage and root planning.
take care.
Answered: Mon, 24 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Vivek Chaudhary's  Response
first n foremost I would like to advice that you quit smoking as early as possible.Smoking may lead to many dental problems like swelling of the gums, staining of teeth,etc.
An x-ray should be taken for the region having pus like pocket to know whether it is infection of the teeth or the gums.

Answered: Mon, 24 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Katta R Venkatesh's  Response
Please dont worry, get the biopsy done immediately and get rid for your tension.

Dr Katta R Venkatesh
Answered: Mon, 24 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor