Owl Image

Can your cholesterol be to low ?

Is there such a thing as a person having a problem because their cholesterol is to low? Is there a name for that condition, and a treatment?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics ,  
Good morning! Too low is rarely a problem but it does happen. In most all instances it occurs in a malnurished state, probably associated with an illness state as well. Yes, your body does make some and you get some in your diet also. If the liver is impaired in some way by disease (alcohol doesn't help here at all!) or a medication that has caused damage then the mfg process in the body will not work. The liver has over 400 functions and if anyone of them messes up it's considered liver disease and needs to be addressed. Cholesterol is processed through the liver and to the gallbladder then on to the system...kind of in a loop like all body functions. Don't know a name other than the obvious, hypocholesterolemia. Treatment would involve liver studies along with nutrition evaluation. Hope this helps! Jeff the nurse in Nashville P.S. Someone's pushing mangosteen here. That response is a bit amateur-ish and niave. Look a little deeper.