Can yellow fever vaccine be administered at old age?

I recently took an employment position that may take me to Uganda or Kenya, Africa that is of course if your diagnosis comes back positive. I know that I m required to be vaccinated with the Yellow Fever Vaccine and a few other vaccines (i.e.), hep a and b, malaria, typhoid, meningitis, rabies, just to mention a few. I m really not so concerned about these other vaccines as I am about the Yellow Fever vaccine. I m concerned for two reasons, I am 65 years old and diagnosed as boarder line type 2 diabetic so much so that I have been taking Metformin for the last year and a half. My question is, in light of my age and diabetic condition can I be vaccinated with the Yellow Fever vaccine without the possibility of any serious side effects?
Thu, 1 Jul 2021

Any vaccine can cause side effects, but they are normally mild and of short duration. Some aches and pains, perhaps a low grade fever, some fatigue. There is no extra concern for this vaccine in diabetics. It is far preferable to getting yellow fever.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Gerald Lee, Internal Medicine Specialist