Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Can a child's blood group be different from both his parents blood groups ?

dear sir, please tell me my blood group is o+ and my wife ab+. my child blood group is a+? is it possible because i think child have a blood group of father of mother. regard
Asked On : Thu, 25 Aug 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  597
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Anesthesiologist 's  Response
yes it is absolutely possible that your baby blood group is A +ve, as your wife is AB
+ve and you are o +ve. your baby can be A +ve or B +ve not any other group.
Answered: Thu, 25 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
With your blood group O+ and your wife AB+ , your child can either be A+ or B+ . Your child cannot have either O+ or AB+. The blood groups are dependent on a pair of genes and not a single gene and a combination of two genes determines the blood group of baby.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Answered: Thu, 25 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor