Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Are there any problems in pregnancy if a B- blood group girl marry a b+ blood group boy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
hi, can a B- blood group girl marry a b+ blood group boy. are there any problems in pregnency and if yes are there any medications available
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 23 minutes later
Thanks for your query.
Surely they can marry but problem may arise if a woman has negative blood and her baby has positive blood.
When she is pregnant, blood from baby can cross into her bloodstream, especially during delivery. If she is negative and her baby is positive, mother's body will react to the baby's blood as a foreign substance. Her body will create antibodies (proteins) against the baby's blood. These antibodies usually don't cause problems during a first pregnancy. This is because the antibodies mostly form after delivery.
However, the antibodies stay in body once they have formed. Thus, Rh group (neg or pos) incompatibility is more likely to cause problems in second or later pregnancies (if the baby is Rh-positive).

During first pregnancy she will require normal monitoring. The baby's group is checked at birth and if positive, mother will be given an antibody to neutralize the baby's proteins. This prevents mother's body to produce antibodies and the subsequent pregnancies will be normal.
Hence in modern day medicine, marriage between negative girl and positive boy is quite possible.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor