Burning, electric shocks, pain in left leg. Diagnosed as pinched nerve in groin. Suggestions?

I have been suffering with burning, electric shocks & pain in my left leg from the top of the thigh to the top of my knee, with pain radiating around to the inside of the thigh. I have seen a nerve specialist & they said it could be a pinched nerve in the groin, but this has been going on for at least 3 -4 yrs. Can you suggest anything?
Tue, 7 May 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hi there, as your nerve specialist has rightly suggested it could be due to nerve compression. The symptoms arise over a long period of time when the compression is slow like due to bony deformity, or due to compression by some space occupying lesion.Do get investigated thoroughly with the help of an MRI to rule out the specific pathology and get treated accordingly. It may be something very simple like disc prolapse or any thing more serious like a tumor. Do not neglect and get to the root of the cause. Take care.