Can a moment's shock from a 120 volts electric line be treated?

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: how long can a person withstand an electric shock from 120V line, in milliseconds?I want to clarify, assume there is a mechanism that detects someone is being electrocuted and the mechanism shuts off the power. The process of detection and shutting off the power takes some time, therefore this time has to be shorter than the duration a person can be in contact with 120V
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends on several factors.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic.
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.
The time period which you can withstand electrical current depends on the voltage and ampere of the current.
The severity of injury from electrical shock depends on the amount of electrical current and the length of time the current passes through the body. The skin is a very good insulator. Unless you have any wounds or cuts, it's usually safe up to 60V. In any case it's not voltage that kills, but current. 25 to 100 milliamps will do the job in most circumstances. 120 V is the usual household voltage and generally one can withstand.05 to .2 seconds. You don’t need to worry as circuit breakers will work instantly one you won’t get any shock.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D