Suggest remedies for pain in the left lower calf muscles

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 4 Jan 2018 in Lump
Question: I'm having pain in my left lower calf muscle. I'm referring to the area wehere the two gastrocnemius muscles meet with the upper achiles tendon. The pain is not a cramp. It feels like an electric shock. It lasts for a few seconds, goes away, and then comes back a few minutes later.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give few more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

To give valuable answer I need to know few more details:
1. Have you had any injury of this area recently
2. Is your calf hard and painful or soft?
3. Is there any redness or swelling?
4. Is the area cold or warm comparing to the other side?
5. Do you have this pain while walking?
6. Have you had recently some calf cramps?
7. Do you suffer from back pain or have any lower spine issue?

I`m looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later
1. I have not had any injuries in this area

2.My calf muscle is not hard and painful. It has the same texture as all other muscles. At age 47, I have been a runner since age 18, which has made my calf muscles large and firm, but not hard or tumor like.

3. There is no redness, swelling, or discoloration at all.

4. There is no cold or warm, no temperature change at all.

5. I have not noticed pain while walking or running. While preparing to run, instead of stretching I will massage my legs to insure proper blood flow. Then pain that I feel is a deep tissue pain, like a nerve.

6.I have not had noticeable calf cramps.

7. I sometimes suffer from lower back pain, but not because of any trauma. In the past, my chiropractor explained, from X rays, that there is no lower vertebrae damage or deterioration. He recommended that I do crunches(exercise) to make the back pain go away.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neurological issue.

Detailed Answer:
According to this informations any vascular disease including veins thrombosis cab be ruled out. Same thing with any muscles or tendons issues.
The most probable reason is nerve irritation due to ions deficiency or nerve compression due to spine disc issue.
I suggest you to start Magnesium and Potassium supplementation. If it wont help, spine MRI should be done.

Regards.