Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Burning after drinking and eating, burping. Can OTC acid reducers be taken?

My 18 year old son who is very healthy and eats well is experiencing symptons like heartburn or acid reflux. A burning when he drinks water and feels like he has food lodged in his chest. He has been burping more. He does not eat a lot of spicy foods, he does drink a lot of milk, protein drinks and exercises and plays baseball daily. He does not get a lot of sleep right now because he is finishing his senior year. He is busy and somewhat stressed. Can I try over the counter acid reducers first or go right to the doctor. We have terrible insurance but I want him to have relief.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi thanks for using HCM

Your son's symptoms suggests acid peptic disease, could be due to stress.
You can try Tab. pantoprazole 40 mg once a day 30 min before food for 7 days. Tell him to avoid sleeping immediately after taking food. Hopefully this will help to reduce his symptoms.
If his symptoms are not relieved by these measures, he may need to be further evaluated for GERD by esophagoscopy. For which you may need to consult gastroentrologist.

Hope i have answered your query. take care

Dr. Lohit
Answered: Sat, 29 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor