Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Blister on gum, dentist confirmed abscess, painful. Is it dangerous to be left untreated for a period of time?

Hello, My husband woke with a bulging bubble like blister on his gum near a tooth and a smaller one below it. He went to his dentist in fear it was an abscess . They confirmed it was and said he needed to have the tooth(6 of them) pulled after comparing an x ray to his last one. They called his teeth hopeless. They sent him home to think about what he wanted to do ( lots of $ involved), and they did not give him antibiotics for the abscess. He is in pain tonight and I want him to go to the er after reading what one can do. He already has tests being done due to some abnormal liver results. Isn t this dangerous to be left untreated for a period of time?
Tue, 7 Aug 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist, Periodontics 's  Response
Dear jswfla
If the prognosis for the teeth has been determined as hopeless then it has to be extracted. it is not advised to leave it untreated for long. may be since he already has abnormal liver results medications have not been prescribed for him, because many of the medicines undergo metabolism in liver. you need to consult physician before prescribing any medications to your husband. take a decision early, consult physician and go ahead with advised treatment.
wish your husband a speedy recovery

I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. M.Karthikeyan's  Response
hi mam,
i have read ur question first thing dont get tensed or panic and whatever infection ruled out in the body should not left untreated by ur saying i think condition is termed as periodontal abscess first and foremost thing shold start antibiotics and see the bone status of ur teeth if its moderate should drain the abscess and undergo flap treatment for ur gums and bone if bone level of ur teeth is worse then plan for removal but with premedication
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Prosthodontics Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain's  Response
If the doctor has confirmed its an abcess then ideally before you decide to get the teeth pulled or go for a root canal to save the teeth(if possible) an antibiotic course along with anti inflamatory drug should be taken by the patient. once he takes strong antibiotics and appropriate pain killers he will feel better, till you can get the treatment done. Abcess is a source of infection, which should not be ignored but it is not an emergency and you should not panic.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm forum,
i would like to inform you that leaving the infected tooth untreated will results in more pain and infection, i cannot rule out the diagnosis without looking at the x-ray but yes if not treated soon it can worsen, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication for a week is a must before getting the teeth extracted.
also ask your husband to use an antibiotic(betadine) mouth wash, 3-4 times/day,
kindly visit your dentist soon.
i wish him good health.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor