Suggest remedies for gum infection

Dr. Priyanka Tiwari

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Dental Health
Question: I developed a gum abscess on my lower gum about 3 weeks ago. it started with slight pain in the tooth but the tooth is already has a root canal wit a cap. The symptoms come and go with the worst being a boil in the same area on the gum that becomes large and then goes down in a day. I generally get relief from it after brushing and using mouthwash. Twice it has burst because i pressed it and blood came out.

In the initial week i used Amox 500 but the issue still persists. In the evenings there is a nagging pain in the jaw but it is not serious enough for a painkiller also initially there was a swelling but not very noticeable on the area
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
seems like Gum infection , Get radiograph and upload image of radiograph .

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX ,

Thanks for consulting Healthcaremagic .
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query.

I have gone through your query and the image you have attached . As far as I have observed in image there is swelling in gum in respect to molar with metal crown . See XXXXX what happened is as your tooth is root canal treated pain and swelling can be due to Gum infection (Periodontal Abscess) secondary to deposits around tooth . Nothing to be panic for this I will suggest you to consult oral surgeon and get Intraoral periapical radiograph to confirm the diagnosis. If radiograph reveals gum infection then you need to get treatment Scaling and root planning done. If you have infection in root canal treated tooth then treatment done is Re -RCT that is root canal treatment is Repeated .
Get the radiograph done and upload the image of radiograph so that I can give you better diagnosis . Inmeantime Do mouthwash regularly . Do warm saline rinses 3 to 4 times a day that will give you relief .

Hope I have answered your query .
If you have further query I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 41 minutes later
Can u recommend a antibiotic as I am travelling and I have no access to a dentist
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,

Welcome again .

As you are asking for Antibiotic, yes you can take medicine like Amoxicillin Clavulanic 625 mg with Metronidazole and vitamin Bcomplex by consulting with local doctor . Consult dentist and get radiograph .

Hope I have answered your query .
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 8 minutes later
I will definitely go to the doc when I return till then what will the dosage of the medication be and for how long
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,

Welcome .

As you are asking for dosage, until you visit the doctor, I would start Tab. Amoxicillin CV 625 twice daily with Tab.Metronidazole twice daily , Analgesic like Tab. Zerodol SP or Diclomol SP twice daily and Vitamin B complex like Becasule or Becozinc once daily . You can take these medication for 5 days by consulting with local doctor .

Hope this will help you .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad