Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Autistic with chronic seizures, on Valporic, Zonisamide. Tried replacing with Topomax, unable to find the drug. How to proceed ?

Hello My son born in 1998, has chromosome 12 q-, Autisim, and ( excuse the spelling ) myocronic siezures. We are Canadian and have been taking Valporic Acid ( 3mls twice a day ) and Zonisamide. ( 150mg twice / day). In Canada Zonisamide is not approved and we have been using it through a drug trial for over 10 yrs and come June I will not be able to get the drug anymore. We have tried to replace it with Topamax .. which was terrible and now we are back where we started. His Dr. , Dr. Ronen, McMaster Childrens Hospital in Hamilton, Ontario 905-521-2100 thinks that we should stay with the Zonisamide which I found out I can get in Naples, Florida where I have a condo, However I need an american Doctor to write me the perscription. Please advise on how to perceed.. I was told to go to a walk in clinic but I think that might not be a good idea.. wouldn t a nuerologist be better and wouldn t it be better if an american doctor conferrred with my canadian doctor.. I would like to keep the cost as low as possible.. I just need the script.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

As you know prescribing an anticonvulsant like zonisamide to your child on this portal is not possible.

The doctor has to examine the child, review history, and to prescribe the medication.

What I advise you is to consult the Neurophysician there for the advise on using this drug.

Hope I have answered your query.

Answered: Fri, 7 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor