Are hot flashes on the back and chest a matter of concern?

I read the article on hot flashes, it said the hot flash heats up your head and face. I have a hot flash nearly every night but it is the trunk of my body (back and chest) that heats up, My skin is very hot to the touch enough to wake my husband. Should I be concern? I am fifty and perimenapausal
Fri, 29 Jun 2018
OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Hot flushes are very common in the time around change to menopause and early years of menopause. Around 8 in 10 women going through menopause report it.

It is perceived in different parts of the body for different people. I would recommend trying life style changes and diet modifications in first instance. Using light and non synthetic fabrics might make you more comfortable at night.

Diet and exercise go a long way to help you transition into menopause. Try a low fat, high fibre and plant based diet along with exercise and mindfulness practice for a couple of month to see a difference. Soybeans, clover and alfalfa sprouts, and oilseeds (such as flaxseed) are foods are some food which are rich in naturally occurring oestrogen's.

Deep breathing practice (check on youtube for yogic breathing clips), yoga or chi-gung are recognised to be useful in management of hot flushes and other menopausal symptoms.

If symptoms are still severe then a low dose HRT could be tried in discussion with your gynecologist after balancing the benefits of the treatment against its short and long term side effects. Please be careful if there is a history of cardiac or liver disease or other conditions which may interfere with effectiveness of hormone therapy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.