Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Ankle injury. X-ray shows bone bruise. Have swelling, no pain. What should I do?

Hi Doc, about 3 weeks ago I was playing hockey and got hit with a shot on my left ankle (inside part of the ankle) the pain was quite intense but nothing I haven t felt before. Swelling did not start right away but I was favouring it quite a bit. About a week and a half later - it didn t feel much better so I thought I should get an X-ray - I did - 6 shots and they found no fracture but they called it a deep tissue / bone bruise . Swelling has now started in the area and it feels like a bone. The pain has gone away now - there was pain going down into my foot and that has improved but the area is still quite swollen. I went to a massage therapist and he worked on the swelling and was able to break it up - a week later it was back. Not sure what I should do.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  42
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.
Swelling resent over foot could be due to exertion. Do hot saline fomatation. do not hang the foot for long time. Elevate the limb over pillows. Continue physiotherapy. If it persist consult your doctor.
Hope this will helps you. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Sun, 21 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

As your xrays were negative for a fracture, the only possibilities are either a bone bruise or a sprain involving ligaments.

Any soft tissue injury generally requires atleast 3 weeks of rest to regain its preinjury status.

As you are still having swelling in the foot, I suspect some significant injury to the ligaments in the foot. Suggest you to have a MRI scan to diagnose all the problems.

Consult an orthopedic surgeon and follow his advice.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Sun, 21 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi, it appears to be the deep seated injury to the ankle, and there appears to be a dislocation of the bones of the foot. So i advise you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for diagnosis and treatment. You may need to have M.R.I. done for confirmation, and may need to have plaster cast for 6 weeks.
Thank you.
Answered: Sun, 21 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor