Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Am I suffering from endometriosis and will it affect my chances to conceive ?

I m 20 years old. For the past 8 months i have had a sharp stabbing pain in my abdomen whenever i have sex. Recently (in the past two months) It occurs when i sit up, lift heavy objects, etc. I have seen an OB/GYN and got an ultrasound where they discovered cysts all along the inside endometrial tissue and an additional cyst on my right ovary. I was put on antibiotics for a month and have 0 STDS and have a normal pap smear . However they referred me to a general surgeon who issued a CT scan . There were no hernias etc. It was a normal CT scan. They are recommending a laparoscopy to diagnose the problem....what are the possibilities for diagnosis before i decide to have surgery? Could it be endometriosis? could i still get pregnant with endometriosis when the times comes?
Asked On : Sat, 3 Sep 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  106
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
The problem may be endometriosis and the best way to decide is to have a diagnostic laparoscopy where the inside of abdomen is visualised it shows the extent of endometriosis and any involvement of the sorrounding tissues. there are good medications available to treat endometriosis once diagnosed. It is definitely possible to conceive with this problem, but it is better to conceive earlier rather than delaying the pregnancy. wishing you a good health.
Answered: Thu, 19 Jan 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Nephrologist Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha's  Response
Thanks for the query

I dont see a reason why u should get abdominal pain after sex. It could be endometriosis but if it was then it would have been diagnosed by now. Since they have ruled out all STD then it very difficult to say why this is happening. Maybe there is some component of functional symptoms. Are u too tensed about pregnancy? stressed lately?? If so please meet a counselor as well

Have a healthy living

Answered: Sat, 3 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor