Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Abscessed tooth, facial swelling, tooth numbness. Unable to get the tooth removed. Cure for symptoms?

Hi my name is XXXXXX. I am concerned about my mother, she has bad teeth and now has an abscess tooth which was giving her the worst pain. This morning she woke up face is still swollen but her face and tooth is numb now. That tooth has always been abscess and has never become numb so she is very worried. She doesn t have the money to get it pulled or even go see a doctor for that matter. I wanted to ask a professional their opinion on what this could be, so we can take see what else there can be done for her. Thank you for listening and hope to hear from you shortly.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Dec 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  301
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I read your query & would like to tell you that all symptoms suggest that there is abscess formation.
It occurs when infection reaches pulp & causes inflammation in periapical region.
I would suggest you to get her treated as early as possible after consulting your dentist.
It might require RCT or extraction depending on clinical & radiological condition.
Also start with medicines prescribed by your dentist.
Ask her to do betadine gargles twice a day & avoid doing warm compresses over swelling.

Take Care
Answered: Tue, 25 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm forum,
i would like to inform you that numbness and swelling around the tooth is due to abscess formation ,
abscess contains pus which causes swelling, initially pain is present but subsequently, pain disappears and only swelling persists.
in such a case, removal of tooth is indicated to prevent infection from spreading to the adjacent tissues.
i advise you to take your mother to a dentist soon to avoid further complications,
antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication is required to resolve infection , your dentist will prescribe the same.
kindly avoid hot food and drinks until you see a dentist, do not apply any hot compresses over the swelling.
i hope i answered your query,
i wish you and your mother good health.
Answered: Sun, 9 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
I read your problem,i would like to tell you for such condition you have to visit a dentist in your area as soon as possible and get the thorough examination done including x-rays.
Your mother needs proper treatment,otherwise it will get worst.
She can perform betadine mouthwash gargles mean while but for permanent treatment she has to visit a dentist as soon as possible and get the consultation done.
After x-ray your dentist will decide whether it can be treated or not.
If treatment will be possible,root canal will be done.
If it can not be treated ,removal of that tooth will be the option of treatment.
Nothing to get worried,and visit a dentist as soon as possible.
Take Care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Mon, 10 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor