Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

8 year old girl, discoloration of upper lip, lips getting darker in color. What could be this?

my eight year old daughter has a discoloration of her upper lip that started about a week ago. It is brownish in color and looks like the mustache a kid gets from drinking colored sports drinks. It seems to be getting darker in color and kids are starting to ask her what it is. Everything online seems to point to melasma but it doesn't seem to be common in children.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  187
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

Melasma usually occurs during pregnancy due hormonal changes.In a child who is 8yrs discoloration of upper lip skin could be due to multivitamin deficiency or it may be some kind of dermatitis if the skin is dry and flaky.

I would suggest that you could apply some moisturiser and get her examined by a dermatologist who could prescribe few creams to eliminate the discoloration .

Take care
Answered: Fri, 19 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor