Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

have had diarrhea accompanied with headache. How to cure it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
I have had the runs for about 11 days now. Mostly after I drink water, not eat food. Have had some headaches that are uncharacteristic for me and am pretty low on energy from time to time. Seems to be worse in the morning. Initially, bowel movements very watery, now they are more like very liquidy diarea(green). Reactions to liquids seems to be improving. Not running to the bathroom as much.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 11 minutes later

thanks for your health concerns. the vast majority of acute cases of diarrhea, meaning lasting less than 4 weeks, are infectious in nature, probably 90% of the cases. the most common organisms are viruses but bacteria and parasites are possible but significantly less common. they seem self limited meaning that your body gradually gets rid of the infection; however the intestines are sore after having the runs for several days and literally the lining of cells has to be replaced for you to absorb food properly. thats why some people have the runs for a longer period of time. typically absortion of fluids gets better and then gradually solids.

keep well hydrated, usually as I said most cases last less than 4 weeks; if diarrhea persist for a longer period of time then further investigation such as stool tests may be required

Truly yours

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor