• question-icon

Will ultrasound scan show abnormalities in liver and gall bladder?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Thank you Dr. Mazumdar for your reply. My husband has had an ultrasound of his heart. What can the ultrasound on his liver, gallbladder, kidneys and abdomen show? Can they actually see if there is something wrong with one of these organs?

You ask if his side was tender to touch. Yes he has had a soreness there. But pushing in on the area not so much pain, but there is some he says. He says when he twist around it will hurt too. A stabbing pain has started lately once in awhile. It almost seems to be that whatever it is has started to get worse as far as the pain goes.
He has no vomiting or nausea or change in stool. He has not been taking anything for pain. He just puts up with it. He sounds like a rare bird, but it is even hard for him to describe at times. Whatever it is, if it gets very much worse he will have to seek help. Thank you for your assistance. Hope some of this information can help.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Non specific Muscle pain

Detailed Answer:
the ultrasound will show changes in liver, gall bladder. if there are stones, increased span of liver.
however your husband seems to complain about non specific pain arising out of muscles. in addition to regular pain medication we generally suggest medications for anxiety and sound sleep.
just ask your doctor about the same.
you should try other other non drug methods for sound sleep. taking strolls before sleep, hot shower before sleep using lavender or other aromatic herbs that induce sleep.
I think lack of sound sleep make trivial symptoms appear large and disturb routine.
Try these and let me know.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 8 hours later
Dear Dr. Mazumdar,
My husband sleeps very well for his age. He is still very active outside and plants a large garden every year. He hasn't got started on the planting yet. He does a little bit of car work and body work occasionally. He never feels sick or tired. He has always gotten up good of a morning and got busy doing whatever. He had an x-ray about 7 years ago because he had a low grade temperature for a month. The doctor thought she could see a mass of something on that side. She gave him an antibiotic for one week. That seem to help for some time. But it eventually started being sore and over the last 3 months has given him more sharp pain and soreness. It sounds weird I guess since it seems very hard to pin point the problem. But as you advised he may need an ultrasound of liver, gallbladder, etc. Thanks for your information and help. Any other information is appreciated. Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Ms XXXXXXX

That's good to know about your husband that he is yet active.
If he is having good sleep at night it is unlikely to be anxiety as well.
Get an Ultrasound and things may be bit clear. If the Ultrasound is normal then the problem appears difficult, then further CT Scan/MRI scans which are expensive may be needed.
Were blood counts normal?

Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 hours later
Dear Dr. Mazumdar,
Thanks so much for your reply. My husband blood counts have been normal. He needs to go back to his regular doctor and see if he will direct him to someone that can do an Ultrasound in this area that causes him soreness and pain. And if that is normal,than as you advised do at CT Scan/MRI Scan.

This sounds like the choices my husband needs to make. If you have any further information that you feel we need to hear, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks again for all your advice. You have been most helpful.

Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Dr. Mazumdar,
Did you see my last report to you on yesterday Wednesday.

I mentioned that my husband blood counts have been normal. You advised an Ultrasound, CT SCAN/MRI SCAN. I agree with you that this is the direction we should go. You have been very helpful on this weird situation with my husband. If you have any further information that you feel we need to hear, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks again for you advice. You have been most helpful.

Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Not much to add after blood counts

Detailed Answer:
with normal blood counts I have not much to add. I think you can go about to your doctor if he can add Pain modulators which elevate the threshold for perception of pain like TCA group.

otherwise I have nothing to add now till the ultrasound report is on table.

all the best.
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar