Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Will drinking alcohol regularly cause serious problems?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 1486 Questions
my husband drinks alcohol every week. either 2 beers or 3 pegs of alcohol. he drinks alone even if there is no company.he is 30yrs old.he must be drinkin like this for almost 5 to 6 yrs now. we both work in an MNC where drinkin once a week has become normal social drinking. though my moral values say its a bad habit he continues to convince me that its fine. kindly advice how to handle this habit of his. Iam afraid this will lead to serious consequences.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Prove that alcohol is harming him. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Your concern about your husband's drinking pattern is well founded. Alcohol dependence starts in similar pattern with the regular intake of small amounts of alcohol, which gradually and steadily increases with passing years. Unfortunately, your husband will not be willing to accept that he has a problem with alcohol. Whatever you say will only appear as nagging to him. In my opinion, showing him objective evidence of alcohol related harm will be a better idea, rather than trying to convince him with just words. Get your husband to test his blood for complete blood cell counts, liver function tests and lipid profile tests. You can also get an ultrasound of the abdomen. The tests are likely to show some abnormalities in view of his regular drinking for years. You can then ask him to modify his drinking in consideration of the abnormal reports. You can also try asking his parents to intervene, though probably it will not make much of a difference. In my opinion, getting evidence of damage to his body from alcohol seems the best method in which you can convince him to amend his ways. Hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor