Will Suboxone help to wean off Norco?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I've been on norco and XXXXXXX for 8 years I'm 68 years old with back problems. I feel down all the time. I take norco 5x a day and XXXXXXX 4x a day . Will sobinxon help if I get off them?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're already having a lucky day !

Detailed Answer:
You're getting the question answered by the only person in the world who can!
here's the paper I'm completing this week.... Mathematical analysis of suboxone participation.
First 100 patients in my program... 20 were not interested in treatment. 10 did not stay in past the first dose (these are drug addicts on more narcotics than you are; mostly heroin)... and then... there were 6 patients with back/disk/orthopedic issues who were concerned about their potential for abuse.
They were mostly over 50; the other patients all under 40
They did not have legal issues, they did not do illegal activities nor were they misrepresenting/lying/using other controlled substances. THEY were on suboxone an average of ONE MONTH and were either able to not be on any narcotics or were able to decrease their narcotics by at least 30%. five for five. 100%.

So, yes, suboxone would seem likely to work for you. The slight issue is that you are a grey area for use of it at present since you do not easily fit the definition of drug addiction. Use of it for PREVENTION of addiction is not considered although technically it is FDA approved for patients "at risk".
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist