Suggest treatment for adult ADHD

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 25 Oct 2017 in Mental Health
Question: my girlfriend's son is 32 yrs old. He was diagnoised with adhd since he was younger. Now at 32yrs old he keeps on helping this drug addicted, stealing from him ex girlfriend. She has stole his gold necklace, put him in bankruptcy and etc bad things. His mother is beside herself. I want to give her help with trying to tell her son stop. Any suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
His behavior could be due to Adult ADHD.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HealthcareMagic,

I can understand your concern. A lot of individuals with adult ADHD develop symptoms like antisocial behavior, anger issues, drug abuse, stealing etc. If proper treatment is given then such individuals show improvement.

So if you want to help your girlfriend then, first of all, try to convince her that the issues he is showing are part of his adult ADHD. This should be stopped because if not stopped this might lead to antisocial behavior. So she should be convinced that he needs treatment by a psychiatrist and this can help in his drug addiction and also inhabit of stealing etc.

Thanks.

You are most welcome to ask follow-up doubts.

Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Its not him that is showing this outrageous behavior its his exgirlfriend. Her addiction behavior is doing this to him. She keeps on using him & he is giving in to her . Question, is adhd a reason for his wanting to help her. She is ruining him & his mom. Please guide me to help her.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He should be convinced.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

I am sorry, I couldn't understand.

You've mentioned that he was diagnosed with ADHD and in ADHD individuals show hyperactivity, impulsivity and poor attention. Impulsivity and poor attention could be the reason that he is not confident enough to decide what is right and what is wrong. A lot of individuals show indecisiveness, poor judgement etc symptoms.

So first is to convince him that he should take treatment. He should be make aware that if he is stealing or being used by he then that is wrong. This could cost him a lot. You can ask his mother to convince him.

Thanks, You can ask again if you want to discuss more.