Why is Enoxaparin injection advised during pregnancy?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Dear Sir/Madam,
My wife is in 26 weeks pregnant, Today doctor prescribed ENOXAPARIN Sodium Injection I.P (20mg/0.2ml) for 30 days. Our doctor has recommended this after CBC, We had a previous ectopic and Miscarriage in the Past. Would you please clarify, i am little concerned?

Thanks and Regards,

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it would reduce the chance of another loss

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are medical studies that show that the use of enoxaparin and low dose aspirin can be used in women with a history of previous pregnancy loss due to anti phospholipid syndrome.
This condition , anti phospholipid syndrome increases the risk of clotting and this clotting can then cause miscarriage.

This condition has been shown to be the cause of recurrent miscarriage in 20 to 40 % of women. This means that 20 to 40 of women out of 100 ,who have more than one pregnancy loss have this condition.
Her blood tests may have revealed that she is at increased risk of clotting meaning that this pregnancy is also at risk.

Enoxaparin has been shown to reduce this risk and reduce the chance of any problems occurring.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for the clarification.

But we are at our 26weeks, all our previous results/Scan are normal, Still we are at threat?

We are taking as low dose aspirin from the Day 1 of our pregnancy.

None of our previous results revealed about the anti phospholipid syndrome.

Thanks and Regards,
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to speak to her doctor for clarification

Detailed Answer:
HI

If there is no evidence of anti phospholipid syndrome and no other clotting disorders are present, then you want to clarify the reason for its use with your doctor.

The FDA has given it a category b in pregnancy meaning that there has been no proven harm in humans so it should not harm her or the baby but you should speak to her doctor to determine why it has been given

At this stage of pregnancy the risk is much less but not eliminated

Please feel to ask anything else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Thank you Dr.Michalle,
What value used to refer to find this in Complete blood count results ??

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
diagnosis requires additional tests

Detailed Answer:
HI

A significant increase in platelets or increase in hematocrit/hemoglobin may be associated with an in clotting

With regard to the anti phospholipid syndrome, tests to look for certain antibodies need to be done. They would not be done in a complete blood count but would be specialized tests.
Antibodies are formed when the body reacts to particular chemicals or substances

If anything else unclear can let me know