Why is Enoxaparin sodium injections prescribed during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Dear Sir/Madam,

My wife is in 26 weeks pregnant, Today doctor prescribed ENOXAPARIN Sodium Injection I.P (20mg/0.2ml) for 30 days. Our doctor has recommended this after CBC, We had a previous ectopic and Miscarriage in the Past. Would you please clarify, i am little concerned?

Thanks and Regards,
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increases the placental blood circulation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
At 26 weeks of pregnancy the chances of miscarriage are reduced. Enoxaparin is given to reduce the chances of clotting so that placenta can get a better blood circulation. It can be given in case the baby's growth on ultrasound scans is slightly lesser or there is a decreased amount of fluid. In CBC if the platelet count is on a higher side then it can be given. Usually a coagulation profile is also done. It is category B drug and can be safely used in pregnancy.
You can start with it as it has been prescribed. It will not harm the baby rather decrease the chances of miscarriage and will help in growth of the baby.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D