Why i am having pain in the ankles?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: From last two month feeling mild pain in the ankles, most of the time i had observed it after waking up in afternoon
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Pain in the ankles after waking up is commonly seen due to joint inflammation or plantar fasciitis.
A short term rest and take care of the inflammation.
To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the afternoon. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.

A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain.
Pay careful attention to selecting the correct running shoe based upon the foot type (flexible pronator vs. rigid supinator). This is extremely important. In selected cases, shoe inserts (orthotics) may be necessary. Shoe inserts are often the key to successful treatment. The shoe inserts often permit patients to continue their routine activities.
If the pain does not resolve, an injection of cortisone can decrease the inflammation.
You may need few physiotherapy sessions along with prescription anti inflammatory drugs after getting yourself examined from an Orthopedician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.