Why do runny nose and fever still persist in a child despite taking Sinarest?
Stop Sinarest - looks like viral illness.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like Cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do. Paracetamol can be given, that too only if fever is more than 100 F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.
For cold you can use Cetrizine.
For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.
But Cetrizine is a prescription drug and you will require a doctor's prescription for it.
Do not give Sinarest as it has got Phenylephrine in it which will increase the heart rate.
Coughing and cold.
Paracetamol can be given if fever is more than 100 F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.
There are drugs like Meftal which decrease fever fast. But they contain Mefenamic acid which is a NSAID. It carries the risk of gastritis and renal problems in the long run.
Suggestions on vomiting.
Vomiting is common in viral illness and with cough and cold.
For vomiting you can use Ondansetron.
But this is a prescription drug and you will require a doctor's prescription for it.
I wish your kid a speedy recovery.
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician, Pulmonology
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cough with no fever or runny nose
- Child symptoms fever watery eyes runny nose
- Runny nose fever rash
- Dengue fever runny nose
- Conjuctivitis and runny nose and fever
- Child fever runny nose little blood in mucus serious
- Coughviral fever and runny nose
- Hiv fever runny nose
- Valley fever runny nose
- Child is having runny nose and high fever any suggestion
- Suggest treatment for viral diarrhea in children
- What causes pain in both the legs of a 4 year old child?
- Suggest treatment for atrial septal defect in children
- What causes bad body odor while suffering from fever?
- What causes eye bleeding while coughing in children?
- Suggest remedy for frequent infections in children
- What causes severe cough, vomiting and stomach pain in a child?
- Is air travel safe while suffering from ear infection?
- Does intake of Wymox help in curing viral fever in an infant?
- Are green diarrhea and pus cells in stool signs of bacterial infection?