Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Why do I have recurrent rash under the foreskin?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12679 Questions
i am having rash under the fireskin, docter suggested forcan 150 6 tabs for alternate days and asked me to apply nizral ointment then after ten days it slightly reduced and again i have the same problem. now suggest me what to do?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

The rash under the foreskin suggests that you are suffering from either :

1.) Balanitis
2.) Balanoposthitis
3.) Fungal infection

These conditions cause the inflammation of foreskin and head of the penis. It may happen due to poor hygiene or use of harsh soaps which has not been washed. Kindly don't worry as there nothing seems be serious.

You should be getting yourself examined by a Urologist so that he may examine you and run few tests like,

1.) Blood Work
2.) Urinalysis
3.) Skin Biopsy (if necessary)
4.) Microscopic examination of the discharge

Once confirmed, the treatment will depend upon the cause. Your Doctor may prescribe antibiotics, steroids, anti fungals and in severe cases may suggest circumcision if you are not circumcised.

It is easily controllable with medications and Good Personal hygiene.
Till that time, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Wear cotton clothes and use as mild soap like Cetaphil for cleaning the penis.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Maintain proper hygiene
2.) Avoid sexual contact with a stranger
3.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I Will be available to answer your Follow up Queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why do I have recurrent rash under the foreskin? 2 days later

Thank you very much for valuable suggestion.

1. I have gone through the pictures on net about three reasons, after seeing them balanitis is my problem and what are the creams and medicines you suggest?

2. Second regarding lifestyle modifications.
a, I take bath two time a day.
b. I am not having sexual contact except my wife. And my wife also maintains good hygiene.

So pl suggest me accourdingly.

Thanking you


Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

Balanitis needs broad spectrum antibiotics for treatment.

Since the problem is long standing, it is best to get a swab culture and sensitivity done to find the antibiotic most suitable for you.

After the test, you can get the relevant antibiotics pescribed from your urologist.

Till then application of hydrocortisone cream will help.

Regarding lifestyle changes, you only need to keep the area clean and have safe sex practices.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor