Why do I feel itchy after bowel movement?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: when i have bowel movement i wipe clean then short time later feel itchy and have to wipe again sometimes 3 or 4 times have tried using baby wipes and baby powder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

You are probably suffering from mucus which appears instead of stool or with stool. Mucus is constantly secreted from intestines mucosa cells and should not be noticeable. But if some pathology in large intestine appears, the secretion gets noticeable. It can appear due to hemorrhoids, rectal polyps, colon cancer or IBS. With this diseases blood in stool can appear, constipations can be present.
It is strongly advisable for you to have colonoscopy performed (if you havent had it done in last 10 years). Only after this test, proper treatment can be ordered.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
had colonoscopy,ok.what should i do to cure this? any home remdies?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Hello!

You should increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake. Avoid fatty foods, soft drinks. Sitz baths witch Quercus Cortex twice a day, wash your rectum after every bowel movement and keep it dry. You can also use prescription free suppositories for hemorrhoids.
Such treatment should improve your symptoms in a week or so. If not, you should have stool tests and at least fecal occult blood test performed.

Regards.