Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Why am I having pain from a vein like thing in the side of my rib cage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6169 Questions
I have a long vein looking thing on side of my rib cage from close to bottom of my arm pit down running down the side of rib cage then disappears into ribs...not really painfull to touch....Was painfull few weeks ago, seems like the pain is going away. Hurts a little bit if I stretch. Not sure if I should be worried about it.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer: There is no need to get worried now! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this pain and the vein looking structure you described. From all the information you have provided, this is most probably a pain originating fro the soft tissue. this is the reason why it can be provoked by stretching. If it were fro a more deep seated organ like the heart, lungs, etc, it wouldn't have been possible for you to provoke it by stretching. It seems to be very minimal otherwise I would have recommended some pain medications for relief. Given the present level of pain, I will suggest you simply monitor the progress and expect complete resolution in the about 1-2weeks. For now, there is no point to get worried about this. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor