Why am I felling nauseous, dizzy and smelling urine after skipping period with copper IUD?

Posted on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I've been feelling unwell with nausea, dizziness, bloating and hot flushes, smelly (fishy) urine smell...no pain when passing urine and have missed my period ( 5 days) with a copper iud(paraguard). Fed up of going docs with no treatment and feel like I'm getting worse. Feel feverish. Help me please
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible uro-genital infection... Detailed Answer: Hi, You are saying to have IUD (paraguard). Please bare in mind that IUD is associated with infection of the uterus, cervix, (genital organs) and pelvic inflammatory disease. The fishy smell of your urine and feeling feverish can be related to urinary tract infection (including bladder infection and urethritis). So, before starting a treatment, you need to do the following tests: - vaginal swab testing - urine analysis - urine culture and sensitivity - abdominal/transvaginal ultrasound Before running vaginal swab testing, you should not have sex at least 3 days prior the testing data. Feeling nausea, dizziness, bloating and hot flushes are indicative for pre-menstrual syndrome (your upcoming periods). Being 5 days late is not determinative for pregnancy (although your symptoms might indicate pregnancy). I suggest to wait until the 10th day after your due date before taking the pregnancy testing. I understand your worries but please bare in mind that you have chosen a birth control method which carries infection as its major side effect. Your doctor/nurse might have mentioned this before taking the decision for IUD. Getting treated for infection is a temporary solution; while the permanent solution is to take IUD off your uterus and use other measures. I usually advise condoms. Wish you health! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Albana Sejdini