When should hearing test be done for an infant?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 4 day old infant granddaughter failed the hearing test. They told the parents will reschedule in 6 weeks. Is this standard or do they need to seek a specialist now?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
see a specialist

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Routine hearing screening tests are done on all infants. The most common test used is OAE - otoacoustic emission test. I assume that this was the test that was done on your grand daughter. This test is sensitive but false positives and false negatives can happen. Hence there is no such terminology as failed in test. The test is graded as PASS or TO BE REFFERED. Infants who do not pass in this test are reffered to specialist centres for another advanced test called BERA - Brain stem evoked response audiometry.

I recommed you see a specialist for further investigations. Do not worry.

regards,
Dr Rajkishori Godhi.