When should Eltroxin tablet be taken by a thyroid patient?
Eltroxin is best taken with water, 30 to 60 minutes before breakfast.
Some people take it at bedtime provided 4 hours have passed since the last meal ie dinner, and nothing will be eaten later. This might work but what you are requesting to know is not recommended.
So when I see someone like your wife in my practice I tell them that it is ok to take it later on that one day before her breakfast, as long as this 5 am eating (no matter how small) does not become a routine.
If she habitually starts having a bite at 5 am then discuss with your doctor if an alternative timing can be set.
Food interferes with the absorption of eltroxin, particularly iron and calcium.
So taking the eltroxin later around 7 am after having eaten something earlier around 5 am will not allow optimal absorption of the medication.
As a one-off situation she can take her tablet even though it is a deviation from the ideal situation. Just do not make it a regular thing. So as often as possible take the medication the way it is supposed to, and frequently check the TSH to ensure it stays in the target range of 0.5 to 2.5 throughout the pregnancy
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest dosage of eltroxin and methimez for thyroid problem
- Eltroxin tablets hair colour
- Will eltroxin 100mg help in reducing thyroid
- Erectile dysfunction thyroid eltroxin
- Normal thyroid function tests taking eltroxin
- Which is better for thyroid eltroxin and thyronorm
- Eltroxin 100 mg tablets
- Eltroxin thyronorm dosage for complete thyroid removal
- Suffering from thyroid on eltroxin tips to reduce weight
- Glycomet tablet for thyroid patient