What type of information do 2D Echo and stress Echo give?

Dr. Rajesh Teli

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi,

I will like to understand the difference between Indications of a 2 D Echo and A stress echo.

Answered by Dr. Rajesh Teli 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
stress echo tells about inducible ischaemia

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Rajesh Teli,MD.
I have gone through your query.Thanks for using HCM.
Basically 2D echo gives information about following details .
1.structure of various valves,septa,walls and great vessels arising from heart.It helps to diagnose structural abnormality of these structures.
2.Functions of valves .any leakage or narrowing of valve can be assessed by it.
3.It gives information about pumping efficiency of heart I.e.LVEF.
4 .It clearly shows any damage to heart wall by heart attack.
However the blockages of arteries supplying blood to heart may not be picked up during resting state.
This requires stressing the heart either by exercise or by certain injections so as to increase heart rate and then analysing pattern of contractions of various segments of muscle of heart.whenever there is significant blocks in arteries it is picked up by abnormal motion.
This establishes presence of blocks and need for angiography and further intervention.In short stress echo picks up blockages which are not picked up by resting ECG and echo.
Hope I have succeeded in explanation.
My best wishes
Dr.Rajesh Teli,MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T